The fast-moving wildfire above Ventura forced thousands to evacuate their homes early Tuesday.
Authorities said more than 7,700 homes were under the evacuation order. Some homes have burned in the city of Ventura.
The evacuations caused traffic jams on several streets as residents fled. At the same time, firefighters were rushing into the hills to set up defenses.
Mandatory evacuations have been ordered for people who live in the following areas:
- East of Dickenson Road, north of Monte Vista Drive along Highway 150 and south of Thomas Aquinas College to the area of Bridge Road.
- West of Dickenson Road to Atmore Road, north of Foothill Road and west to Wheeler Canyon Road
- North of Highway 150 from Koenigstein Road west to the Dennison Grade, north to Reeves Road, east to McAndrew Road and north to Grand Avenue.
- North of Foothill Road west to Wheeler Canyon Road, north to Canada Larga Road and east to Barlow Canyon Road
- In Ventura south of Highway 33, east of Main St, north of Foothill Road and Hall Canyon Road and west of Canada Larga Road
Here are the evacuation shelters:
- Ventura County Fairgrounds at Miners Building (includes an animal shelter for all types of animals): 10 W Harbor Blvd, Ventura, 93001
- Nordhoff High School:1401 Maricopa Hwy, Ojai, 93023
- Ventura Unified School District: All schools will be closed Tuesday.
- Hueneme Elementary School District: All schools will be closed Tuesday.
- Santa Paula School Districts: All schools will be closed Tuesday.
Soft closures (Residents will need to provide identification to access their homes.):
- Wheeler Canyon Road at Foothill Road
- Highway 150 at Reeves Road
- Highway 150 at Santa Barbara St.
Hard closures (Only public safety personnel will have access.):
- Highway 150 at Sisar Road
- Highway 150 at Stonegate Road
- Wells Road at Foothill Road
- Peck Road at Foothill Road
Source: County of Ventura
5:35 a.m. Dec. 5: Updated with school and road closures.
This post was originally published at 11:26 p.m. Dec. 4.